Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Political Traffic

Sitting in traffic, annoyed because of street closures, I wonder if it is all worth the while, all worth the effort that is of President Obama visiting the University of Texas at Austin campus to deliver a speech. While there is no denying the honor and excitement of the President visiting my college campus, I wonder if it is all worth the while.

So after putting up with my fair share of traffic for a speech I did not even witness, I google for the record of the speech online. Upon finding the speech, I decide to copy it into http://www.wordle.net/create to see what were the President's main points with seeing which words were repeated the most throughout the speech. To my surprise, the words "Education," "Make," and "College," were the most repeated. I had gone into my search thinking it was more a a publicity stunt than the President actually talking about a relevant topic to his audience.

However, somehow I could not get over the trouble the US Government had to take so the President to could speak to college students when Congress is having a hard enough time passing bills that could save our planet. Maybe it could have been the traffic that ticked me off, or the witnessing of government taxpayer dollars used to block streets and direct traffic, but still couldn't President Obama be making more of an effort to help build bridges in Congress instead of blocking the already clogged Austin streets?

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

I definitely agree with you. The tax dollars are definitely being spent frivolously on things that are more about face time that addressing the real issues. While I do agree that it was good for President Obama to make a speech that would resonate well with his audience (UT students); I doubt how much of it was "political fluff" and how much was actually a sound promise. I mean, how many candidates promise to lower taxes and revive the economy?! Almost all... and when it comes time to make good on their word they are met with anxiousness because such tasks are hard to make good on, and if they can... it takes a lot of time to fix large national problems.

I think that it is time for President Obama to stop talking pretty words about education, making scholarship promises and put our tax money toward actually accomplishing those goals rather then spending thousands and thousands on visiting and telling us what he's going to do. The traffic is definitely annoying from all the precautions taken for his safety but I am much more annoyed by all the things not being done. The US has problems specifically between the Congress and the President. So instead of taking a pricey trip to Texas, I would suggest to President Obama to walk out him front door to Congress and mend some seriously broken bridges and get something accomplished to fulfill his promises.